Ancient Stratos

area mapJust northeast of Agrinio is the small village of Stratos which stands in the center of the Ruins of the ancient capital and largest city of Akarnania (also called Stratos), with early 5th century BC walls which are very well preserved, which stand on a low bluff over the broad Acheloos River.

The town was besieged during the Peloponnesian Wars by Sparta, but in vain. When Akarnania was divided (in 263 BC) Stratos fell to the Etolians (Aitolians).

The Romans held it against Philip V and Perseus of Macedon. The site was explored by the French school in 1892, 1910-11, and 1924. There's a Doric Temple of Zeus there dating from the 4th century BC.

There is an annual folk dancing festival here in September.

the theater of anocnet StratosThe road passes within the east wall of Stratos, and then turns to cross the Acheloos Barrage (a barrier, as the word is 'fragma', which means 'fence'). The Acheloos River is also known as the Aspropotamos (which means white river), and it the longest in Greece, rising in the Pindos mountains and forming the barrier between Etolia and Akarnania. It falls to the sea across from the Echinadhes Islands. Since 1963 this river has been harnessed for power and irrigation.

To the southeast of Agrinio is Lake Trikhonis, with agricultural villages on its north shore . There are great views of the area from Mt. Vlokhos (610 meters). At Paravola, there are some remains of ancient Boukation, from the Classical period, and from the 4th century, with Byzantine towers. A 1491 monastery is at Myrtia; Aghia Sofia is a pretty village with stream ; its Byzantine church incorporates blocks from a Temple of Aphrodite.