Return to Home Page Harrys Greece Guide

Greece Travel: Information on entering Greece: Page 1

Greece is signatory to the 1995 Schengen Agreement. All E.U. citizens can enter Greece without a passport or visa. A valid ID card is required. British citizens should have their passport. Driving licenses are not accepted instead of an ID card.
The following documents are also valid.

  • Laissez-passer issued by the U.N., the E.U, the High Authority of European Coal and Steel Community or the E.E.C. and Laissez-passer issued according to the Dublin Convention of 1990, only valid for the transfer described therein.
  • Documents issued to stateless persons and refugees according to the Geneva convention of 1951 and the New York convention of 1954.
  • Hong Kong certificate of Identity issued by the previous British Administration.
  • Expired passports of nationals of Austria, Belgium, France, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain and Switzerland (maximum five years) and nationals of Germany (maximum one year).

A Visa is not required for the following people if they intend to stay in Greece for up to three months:

  • Nationals of Andora, Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Korea Rep., Latvia, Liechtnestein, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Romania, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Rep., Slovenia, Uruguay, U.S.A., Vatican City and Venezuela.
  • Holders of passports who are discribed as "British Subject, Citizen of the United Kingdom, Islands and Colonies"
  • Holders of Hong Kong, China or Macao and China passports.

For visits exceeding 3 months, authorization must be obtained in person by applying to the Aliens Bureau at least 20 days prior to the 3-month expiration date. A further 3 month extension is permitted in most cases. Out of Athens apply at the local police station at least 10 days before your current visa expires. Be prepared to show you can support yourself. Do not say you are working unless you have all the paperwork in hand or you'll awaken that sleeping monster, the Greek Bureaucracy and be refused if you haven't the money to support yourself. A 100 Eu fine is due if you overstay the extension. The fine increases the longer you overstay. 600 Eu is the maximum fine theoretically. In Athens apply:

  • Aliens Bureau 173 Alexandras Ave., Athens. They close at 1 PM. Go early! Tel: 210-7705-711,
  • Aliens Center 37, Iroon Politechniou St., 185 10 Piraeus Tel: 210 7705711-7
  • Aliens Center, 73 D. Gounari, Maroussi (Athens Suburbs) Tel: 210 4122501, 210 4241333, 210 4128607
  • Aliens Center, 25, Tsimiski St. Thessaloniki Tel: 2310 521067

In all nationality cases a Visa is required if the traveler does not hold a valid ID card or a valid passport. Citizens of all other countries should contact the nearest Greek Consulate office or the Greek Embassy in order to be properly informed on visa requirements.

Travel Formalities Page 1 | 2