The south side of Akrotiri is dominated by the military presence, and the beaches at Sternes (which are not very accessible). West of Souda, towards Hania on a short side road, is the Moni Chrissopighi (left) (open 8am-12noon; 3:30pm-6pm), with a church and museum with icons from the 15th century on.
The Allied War Cemetery is on other side of the isthmus (south side) from the Venizelous graves. Though on some maps the cemetery is named as 'The British Cemetery' and also 'The Commonwealth War Cemetery', the 1527 soldiers buried in the well-kept graves in this peaceful eucalyptus grove number 862 British, 5 Canadians, 197 Australians, 446 New Zealanders, 9 South Africans and 8 soldiers from other countries most of whom perished in the first days of the Battle of Crete during May of 1941, many of them very young and many unknown.
The grave of British archaeologist John Pendlebury, successor to Sir Arthur Evans in the excavation of Knossos after Evan's retirement, is here, though Pendlebury died fighting during the German attack on Iraklion (in the eastern flank of the German coastal invasion. See the Battle of Crete in the West of Hania section.